Monday, June 29, 2009

my favourite poet

"A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom." Who said this? It is none other than poet Robert Frost. I have found an interview from http://parisreview.com/media/4678_FROST.pdf with Robert Frost and I would be discussing some of the excerpts from the interview. Robert Frost said that he did not own a desk when he was young, and he still doesn't have one ! Can you imagine a poet without a proper desk to write. He says that he writes on anything, including on the sole of his shoe. Although this statement is not very significant, I think what he is trying to tell you is that an inspiration to write poems can come from anywhere, from a neat writing desk to the sole of your shoe.
In one statement, when he was asked which poet did he admire the most, he literally said "I was the enemy of the theory......that you should play sedulous ape to anybody. That did more harm to American education." He might be trying to tell us to develop our own style in writing poetry than have a "copied version" of another poet.
I think that his poems are largely influenced by his sad personal life. Since he had travelled to many different countries, he has many sources of inspirations. His poetry is usually about something not many people had realise, like this poem: A Patch Of Old Snow. Some of the poems he writes usually starts with something light-hearted, and then it goes into a deeper meaning, and ends with a pessimissic theme. There are others such as A Late Walk which has a very heartwarming end.
Robert Frost is an American poet, and was born in California. He grew up in the city and graduated from Lawrence High School and took on jobs including delivering newspapers and factory labor. He did not enjoy any and realised his true calling to be a poet. He was also a teacher in Pinkerton Academy. He credited his writing to his writing classes in high school. The places he travelled and lived throughout his life can be summarised into the poem he wrote title "New Hampshire". He has written more than 180 poems and his poems are critiqued in the "Anthology of Modern American Poetry". He passed away in January 29 1963, but his works live forever. Here is a poem which I hope you would enjoy:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Citations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Frost
http://parisreview.com/media/4678_FROST.pdf
http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/robert_frost/poems/

No comments:

Post a Comment