Friday, June 5, 2009

Country rat? City rat? Which would you rather be? Let's weigh the plusses and minusses of being a country rat and city rat:

Starting with the country rat, we would realise that our resources are widely available as long as you are financially inclined. Modernisation is a 100% yes in the city and there would be continuous developement to make life more convenient. Higher literacy level and all of that sort.Sounds great? Then what about these: The cost of living is high, the living standards are high, crime rates are high...... there you have all of these. People have much knowledge in managing but what is knowledge? City=More jobs? That is quite right but you would realise that people are more densely populated and competition for resources are high, thus city also= more people! Now think about it: If you have a low literacy level, poor financial state, then you would be more of a beggar roaming the streets than a person leaving in a mansion with many servants and the latest gadgets and a large plot of land and a big business to run...... How would it be?

Next with the country rat, let us weigh it out, starting with the positive: Slow-paced lifestyle, easy to cope. Resort to farming and fishing as your way of life and financially stable. You work for yourself, you are the boss. You control your income. No external interferences. Absolutely fantastic. Wait. Are you sure it is fantastic? Traditional way of life, always useful? Medical clinics easily available? Check. Learning centres easily accessible? Check. Slow-paced=less stressful, Can we contribute significantly to the society? How is it possible then? Purpose of life is to fish and farm. So is slow-paced lifestye=fulfilled life?

To summarise, you can only cope in the city if you have a stable and high-paid job. You can survive in the country in any conditions. So would you like to know if I would rather be a city rat or a country rat? Honestly, I would like to be a city rat. This is because I am not that sort of a slow-paced person. I like competition. It is by human nature. I would like to compete my way in the city. I would not always win, I would have fought hard enough. That is certainly what I want. But for the country rat, I would just like to go to the countryside for holidays or something of that sort but certainly not to live there. Its just a direct opposite.
So care for any comments? Share your views!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I think that the reason that you like competition must be the great competition in HCI right? I agree that it is better to have better skills and a steady financial income. You can have a better literacy level, as you have mentioned, and all that stuff. But personally I do not really prefer a fast-paced lifestyle and competition in the city. I would rather live a peaceful lifestyle in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello once again! First, I got quite mixed up when you said country rat when you were actually giving your point for city rat. But I am actually quite surprised that you would prefer to be a city rat! I mean, do you like stress? Anyway, I love the length of your blog post. Comment on my comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post was quite interesting and i like the way you analyze out the city rat and the country rat. you gives advantages and disadvantages to each of the choices and slowly decid e on which to choose. However, it is quite confusing when you stated that you are starting explaining with a country rat when the points given are for a city rat. for example, is mordernisation a 100% as a country place?
    Dan

    ReplyDelete