Sunday, June 28, 2009

My favourite poem

This is my favourite poem, which is written by Robert Frost. This is how the poem goes:

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

I have just learnt a few uses of figurative language, so I think I should be able to identify some of them here. The first one I can spot is personification (line 5): He make the horse think that to stop and watch the woods fill with snow is queer. Another one of personification is in line 10, where his horse asks if "there is some mistake". The last one I have spotted is in line 12 with the use of a metaphor. "Easy wind and downy flake", the author is trying to give us the image of the snowy forests where the wind is lightly blowing and sonwflakes are landing on him so smoothly as ever. For the use of personification, I think he is trying to indicate that a human thinks differently from that of an animal and we should not treat each humans as animals. This is from where he wants to find a house to sleep in and his horse wants to find a farmhouse where there is a shed so he can rest there. There is a different perspective in their ideal place of "rest" and the author is demonstrating the different needs of an animal and a human.

I like this poem because it gives me the image where I was in Germany when I was 10. The 'wind was easy' and the 'downy flake' drifting down. I like that image very much and this poem happens to remind me of the scene of a big area of casuarina trees laden with snow. The only difference was that I was in a bus and the author is travelling on his horse. I can imagine him in the situation and writing this poem, and this snowing scene; it gives me the image of the start of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment