Friday, January 16, 2009

Hello, this was the discussion posted yesterday. Economy will always have the upperhand over environmental conservation. I was suppose to be against the motion and I think all of you have heard enough so I am moving on to the second question posted by the chairman, which is what I am elaborating on now.

"Can economic growth and environmental conservation co-exist?"

Well, i think that they are able to co-exist. It suddenly hit upon me when we were attending geography class. This was what the geography teacher was explaining: There was a resort located near the coast of the Indian Ocean and to prevent the strong waves from hitting against the resort, t-groynes were placed. However, they did not cover the whole coast as they wanted to protect the marine creatures there, which could be seen very easily when standing near the coast, and the marine creatures were the main attraction for tourists.

Through this example, I believe that the environment is conserved (the marine creatures were not entirely destroyed) and economic growth was certain (tourists who wanted to see the marine creatures). From this example, I am quite certain that economice growth and environmental conservation can co-exist.
Well, this is just my thought. What about yours? Do you agree? Post your comments!

2 comments:

  1. I too agree that economic growth and environmental conservation can co-exist. :)
    A very nice idea to link the geography lessons to the question. Hope to read more interesting ideas from you!

    ReplyDelete