Tuesday, August 10, 2010

National Day

Yesterday was Singapore's 45th year of independence. 45 years on and we have steered to great heights today. Seeing what I see today makes me be proud to be a Singaporean. Now why should I be proud of Singapore?

Firstly, I would say that I am most proud of how I am able to have the space and freedom to learn what I want under a controlled environment. I appreciate how a balance have been struck between censorship and freedom. This optimises my learning and gives me the ability to think out of my reach. I think that this would definitely have a great impact of how I think and imagine as I grow up to be a member of society. Is Singapore a nation? I would love to think of it as one, but unfortunately, I do not think that it qualifies as one. As one would know, Singapore does not have a distinct cultural heritage to be one. This is partly Singapore has progressed too quickly, having a ambiguous cultural mix of the east and west. It is hardly something to be proud of, because we do not have anything which we can call it truly Singapore. It may not affect the growth of Singapore directly, but it would definitely affect the mindset of Singaporeans. It would be interesting to see how Singaporeans manage the contrasting cultures to create it into our own.

So my resolution for Singapore is simple. Find your distinctiveness in the midst of the intensive competition and need to globalise. It is the only way to reach out and unite the people

No comments:

Post a Comment