Sunday, August 8, 2010

15 min Drought

Two days ago, I experienced a drought at home. Maybe it was man made, but I still felt the crunch of not having water. Actually, my father was fixing the shower and had to turn off the water supply. At first, I did not really care much about the change, but it really hit me hard when I was brushing my teeth. The first time I turned on the tap, I realised that here was no water flowing out of it. I did not really care less because I simply just used my water bottle, hoping that there was enough to last me throughout my brushing of teeth. However, I was in for some trouble. Once I rinsed my mouth, one fifth of the water was gone. While I was rinsing my mouth halfway, I realised that there was no more water left in my bottle. I went to refill my bottle feeling annoyed. After rinsing my mouth and washing my toothbrush, there was no more water in my bottle again. And I have not even washed my retainers. So I had to refill my water bottle again.

What really hit me after the incident was that I had to used so much water just to brush my teeth. 3 of my 500ml water was all that I needed just to brush my teeth. I did not really expect that I would have experienced so much difficulty in brushing my teeth. So basically I learnt that should appreciate that I am so previledged to have water running out of my taps. It really makes me reflect on how Singapore has progressed from a developing country to a developed country. Now that National Day is just tomorrow, I believe that each and every one of us should have such experiences so that we value what we have now, being thankful in what we do, appreciating where we are living.

No comments:

Post a Comment